Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Cozumel in July?
Offshore454 - 6/09/2009 7:01 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 9

Is anyone else heading to Cozumel in July? We’ll be down july 20 to 27th.
Greg - 6/10/2009 8:46 AM
I’ll be there from June 22nd - 26th, staying at the Wyndam. I’m sure I’ll write a blog about it when I return. Have a great time!
Subscribed
Offshore454 - 6/10/2009 2:42 PM
Doing the all inclusive thing huh? I stayed at Wyndham last year. Have you stayed there before? If not, I have some very important pointers for you on making it a better stay!
ArchimedesPrinciple - 6/11/2009 12:02 PM

We are looking at staying there in the fall when we go. I would love to hear any details that you have to offer
Subscribed
Offshore454 - 6/11/2009 12:50 PM
From ArchimedesPrinciple:

We are looking at staying there in the fall when we go. I would love to hear any details that you have to offer

Make all your all inclusive dinner reservations as early as possible! Days in advance!!! If you ask for reservations for the same day or the next, more often than not they’ll tell you they are all booked up. Then you’ll walk by and see half the tables empty? They try everything they can to get you to eat at the buffet. Don’t fall for it! I would not recommend spending the extra money to stay in the Sabor section. While it is very nice, it’s lacking a few things that make it not worth the extra money. They have a swim up bar at the Sabor pool but no bar tender so you have to climb out and walk to the other bar. The other bar isn’t even open at night. Everyone ends up hanging out at the main pool bar in the regular section anyway. They also are very understaffed on bar tenders all over the complex so get used to waiting in line fore your all inclusive drinks. The Sabor section is also a REALLY long walk from the ocean and piers when you’re carrying dive gear. Back to the pools. People tend to go lay a towel on the pool side chairs early in the morning to "Reserve" them for the entire day, so it’s next to impossible to find a place to sit by the pool. Wyndham also will charge you to use their Piers if you’re diving with another shop besides Sand Dollar. Sand Dollar owns the cement pier right in front of their shop on the North side of the property and they charge something like $3 a day to use it. There are two wooden piers to the South of that that are owned by Wyndham but they still even charge you to use them! I will never understand why a resort that’s as big and nice as Wyndham has to charge their paying guests extra to use their pier?

Now for the good things about the place. The property is beautiful. The food at the reservation only restaurants is very good! Try the calamari!!!! The rooms are nice and clean with everything working. And Wyndham is so far South on the Island that it makes your ride to the reefs really short.

Hope this helps!

David

Greg - 6/11/2009 3:59 PM

Thanks for the awesome info. I’ll get my wife to make our dinner reservations the week before we get there :)
Subscribed
Offshore454 - 6/11/2009 4:15 PM
From Greg:

Thanks for the awesome info. I’ll get my wife to make our dinner reservations the week before we get there :)

I don’t think they’ll let you make reservations until you’re checked in. As soon as you get your room number, go directly to the concierge before going to your room and make reservations for as far out as they will let you. When we were there they only let you make them for two days at a time so you will have to keep going back each day. I’m sorry to say it, but you will most likely be stuck with the buffet the first night. When you’re at the Vista Del Mar restaurant, don’t be shy about ordering lots of wine and appetizers! All the reservation restaurants are good so just ask for the list of them and choose a couple at a time or whatever they will allow.

One more thing, they serve mostly house liquers in their well drinks, but they do stock some name brands. Get in good with one of the bar tenders to find out what they really have behind the bar. :)

Tipping isn’t supposed to be required at the AI, but slipping them a buck here or there definitely gets you better service.
ArchimedesPrinciple - 6/12/2009 10:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up Offshore

Greg, you are only about a week away. So be safe, happy diving and give us all the low down on your return 
sdvrgirl - 6/12/2009 3:11 PM

Yes! But we will be down July 7-14. I go several times per year, this will be trip #3 for 2009. Always dive with Del Mar Aquatics and stay at Casa del Mar. Enjoy your trip!
caribe - 6/18/2009 11:06 AM

I will be in Cozumel July 5 to the10th....I’m going by myself...so I would love it if I could find a buddy to perhaps do some shore dives with during those days. Please let me know if you will be there then...I’m staying at Scuba Cozumel