Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Lead-free Weights
kalidescoperain - 5/30/2009 4:29 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 2

Are there any divers on here that use sand-pouches or stainless steel weights? I looked for inert metals or shaped stones marketed toward the scuba market, but didn’t find any. It would be a safer solution than lead for divers that are concerned about impact of to the underwater environment. I know for fishing stonez makes sinker weights. I guess it won’t matter if you do your diving in a lead quarry. Thoughts?
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/30/2009 6:09 AM

Well over the years I have added rocks to my pockets on ocassion. I have a 5 pounder that is a bag of sinkers that I have collected off the bottom so the Stonz would work.

How about uranium, it would eliminate the lead issues, the glow stick enviromental disposal problems and would allow you to stay warmer in a thinner wetsuit?

With the market sinking David Doubilet had his Gold cast as dive weights so he could keep it close, unfortunetly he had to drop his weight belt in a down current and it hit and hurt his foot, that’s his story and he’s sticking to it!
Subscribed
kalidescoperain - 7/09/2009 5:08 PM
On X-Ray Magazine this month they have a French company offering lead-free weights. I only know English so maybe use the online translator on dictionary.com. http://sublest.fr/sublest.php?catp=sublest&IDpage=7