Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Belize Reef is in a sad state
h2ofria - 5/26/2009 9:05 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 3

I spent a week, earlier this month, diving the reef off of Ambergris Caye, San Pedro Belize. It was a huge dissapointment. Outside of the Hol Chan Reserve (which only has one dive site inside the reef) the area was pretty much barren of sea life.

Yes, there were the trained nurse sharks and groupers that followed the boats around to get fed but outside of that fish were few and far between. As one of our group put it, "If you like floating over a lifeless ocean floor then this is the place."

Another member of our group had been there six years ago. He kept a journal and looked up his entry for the previous trip. Six years ago he wrote that the diving was incredible. Not so anymore.

If you are thinking of diving Ambergris Caye do not believe the glowing descriptions of the reef found on many web sites. Do some in depth research on the health of the reef before you sign up for a trip. I wish I had.

LatitudeAdjustment - 5/27/2009 7:33 AM

Last year I signed up for a "central Belize" cruise but because of high winds, Nekton, PH and Aggressor played musical moorings around Ambergris and Lighthouse reefs. Most reefs were okay but not great. Didn’t see any "barren of sea life" but that is what I had heard and why I wanted to go further south but we didn’t. Maybe our DM’s being on a liveaboard just had a wider selection of locations than yours did.

Sorry your trip was such a disapointment, that always sucks!

What bothered me on that trip was the trash on the beach and in the water around Belize City, the locals don’t seem to care. Yes I know Belize City is a slum.
Subscribed
h2ofria - 5/27/2009 9:35 AM

The local DM’s told us that the diving got better the farther away from San Pedro that you were. Unfortunately the local dive operations stick pretty close to San Pedro.

I don’t think Lighthouse Reef is in the same shape as the reef at Ambergris Caye.

DiveVibe - 5/27/2009 11:02 AM

That is sad to hear... the reefs are the only thing that country has going for it.

I have been wanting to go to the Dominican Republic, everyone says it is great to visit, the beaches are beautiful and the hotels are great (which will keep the little lady happy) but I’ve heard the reefs are trashed and the diving is not so good... though on the bright side anything down there is way better than a quarry in the mid-west :-). At least you had good visibility.